Monday, January 3, 2011

The BAR Method

While the college student or the newly-employed Yuppie may define the BAR Method as an age-old technique in picking up a date at the local pub; for the forty-year-old in search of her thirty-year-old body, the BAR Method is a form of exercise that puts the posing for senior portraits to shame - now tuck here, tilt there, a little shift to the left, point your chin to the right a little more... The BAR Method combines a ballerina's dance bar, a rubber ball, a mat, and your tippy toes to make you hurt in areas you never thought possible.

I am what my husband calls, "a social exerciser." I exercise for the social aspects. Thus, classes with friends are the best way for me to get up off my bootie. So at this time, I want to give a shout out to my friend Carolyn. I agreed to go to the class for a month as a way to celebrate her birthday. She wanted a stronger body, and well, I just wanted to find my body. In fact, the answer I wrote in on the questionnaire at class which asked, "are there any limitations that would prevent you from properly completing your exercises in class?" was "the rolls around my waist may keep me from bending forward completely."

So after completing the questionnaire, handing over my coupon for a free class, and hanging from a bar for 30 seconds (it's required before starting class), I allowed a peppy yet strong instructor named Jen guide me in breaking down muscles in my legs, calves, abs, ass, and arms for 60 minutes. For an hour, I felt like a ballerina, an old lady, and the new spokesperson for Jello Jigglers! But apparently, a shakey leg is a good thing in this class because it shows off the fact that we are now working muscles we've never worked before!

Before the class started, my inspired girlfriend alerted me that her goal was to come 5 days a week! 5-days-straight-a-week!!! Being a good friend, I nodded in agreement while thinking, "yeah, girl, 5-days-a-week... by yourself!"

During the class, all I could say in between my labored breathing was, "Seriously?! 5 days a week?!"

After the class, my still-inspired girlfriend raised her hand and asked the instructor in her oh-so-amazingly-composed-voice, "how many times a week would you suggest we exercise each week?"

So for now, we will attend two days on, one day off for the next month. The girls in the online success stories all testify that transformation happens in a month. Well, I think I'm overachieving cuz I've already been transformed! This morning, I was able to lift my legs. Now, after the workout, I no longer can ANYTHING!

Well, I'll keep you posted...oh! You are free to join me anytime!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a gorgeously written entry. I felt like I was there with you. No, I don't want to go with you, but it was nice to feel like I was there. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try racquetball. We are old and slow but we hit hard and watch the ball go far. We walk over slowly to pick up the tiny quishy ball then we line up and hit it again. We don't run most of the time we just reach over and try to wack the ball. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete