Saturday, July 14, 2012

Let's Talk about ME!

About a month before we came to Taiwan, I began a journey to creating a healthier and stronger me! Prior to this, I had tried dozens of times to reshape my body and retrain my eating habits. Each time, the "project" of dieting and exercise lasted no more than 2-3 weeks. This time, to set myself up to win I did two things: I shared with my hubby and kids about my intention to get healthy, which included reducing my 230+ cholesterol level, and I enrolled the support of a good friend who owns a Spin studio in South Pasadena.

Though I was a bit hesitant to declare a weight or a BMI goal, the shared vision in my training became creating a "long & lean" physique.  Spinning 2-3 times each week at The Cycle Annex and working out with Brandon on the ass-kicking TRX system, my body started to transform. Clothes fit a little looser, and my body felt a little tighter. Johnny (my hubby) looks a little longer, and heads turned a bit more often. THREE WEEKS!!

Although the training at the Annex has been postponed since my month in Taiwan, the discipline and coaching continues. The challenge set forth of finding a gym was done with urgency and the commitment to doing at least an hour of cardio 5 times a week became my personal goal. A week into my trip in Taiwan, I felt so strong that I declared to run a half marathon in October. Running a full marathon has always been something in my bucket list which now I intend to cross off by mid-2013!

Mother's Day 2012
July 9, 2012
Today!
Since setting my sights on the Rock n Roll Half Marathon, my training has shifted to running 3 miles 4 times a week, and 5 miles one day a week.  I giggle every time I run on the treadmill thinking just how resistant I was in the past to running. I laugh nervously when I complete my miles at the thought of the rigorous training that awaits me back in South Pas when I return to LA. While my trainer coaches me to not step on the scale too often, I sigh in relief that although muscle weighs more than fat, I am only a couple of pounds shy of my pre-preggy weight!! Yes!!!

Most of all I celebrate the possibility of being a stronger, sexier, and a more stellar woman. I beam at the knowledge that my sons see my hard work and share in seeing my hard work yield direct results.

I think about my beloved friend Paula Vento and how she transformed herself and even completed a mini-triathalon before she passed away. I hope to inspire people just as she did in her daily commitment to herself, and it's in her amazing spirit and name that I dedicate my training and run in October. I miss you my friend. Thank you for being my inspiration!

Paula & me



1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Next time you're in the Boston area, stop in and I'll introduce you to my fitness guru Justin (Just'in Time).

    ReplyDelete