Friday, June 26, 2009

Pull Over, Ma'am

Buena Vista, Colorado, is a town of maybe 2,500 people. There is one stop light in town. 

After rafting, we had lunch at a hoagies joint called Biggies.  Behind our table were a few police officers, one of which I initiated a conversation who was very interested in our road trip. After our casual conversation, we parted ways. 

About an hour later, I left Johnny and the boys at the rental unit and headed towards our 2 loads of laundry washing at the nearby laundromat.  I was on the road for 2 minutes when I spotted flashing lights behind me. It took me awhile a realize that the attention was meant for little 'ole me, so of course, I pulled over and waited for the officer to tell me what I did. And really, I had NO idea what I'd done.  

The SECOND he walked out of the squad car, I recognized the officer as the one with whom I had the chat with at Biggies. The moment he saw me, he chuckled and shook his head.  Taking off his spectacles, he said to me, "You're lucky you were nice to me at lunch." 

After taking FOREVER running my license, he walks up beside me, laughed and said, "Add this to your Great American history lesson."  "Drive slowly," he added.

OK, now that he's not here, let me share with you that this would be impossible! It is IMPOSSIBLE to drive 15MPH! My van's fuel injection pushes the car faster than 15MPH! The entire surrounding area of this town has a 35MPH speed limit except for this block where I was driving. Still, for the rest of the day, I had my foot on the brakes and managed to drive 10MPH, just in case!

BTW - I did not get a ticket!


No comments:

Post a Comment